Sunday, February 21, 2010

Daryl Hannah ("Kill Bill" actress) Says She is Blacklisted by Hollywood because of her Asperger's

Link

Actress Daryl Hannah (Kill Bill) claims that at the beginning of her career she was "blacklisted" by Hollywood studios because she suffered from Asperger's Syndrome.

The illness limited social interaction and made it very difficult for her to do film promotions since it required talking to lots of people.

She said: "I never went on talk shows, never went to premieres. Going to the Academy Awards was so painful for me. I'd almost faint just walking down the red carpet. I was so socially awkward and uncomfortable that I eventually got blacklisted."

"Studio executives would call me but I'd be too shy to call them back. So after a while a couple of studios literally told my manager that I was blacklisted."

Despite first starring in films like "Splash," "Roxanne," "Wall Street" and "Steel Magnolias," she eventually had to settle for many straight to video projects.

6 comments:

  1. wow i NEVER REALIZED THAT SHE HAD ASPERGERS, NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT I SEE IT. I LOVED HER AS A KID! HOLLYWOOD SUCKS! THAT IS SO SAD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my homework is about autistic famous people and i am going to write it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hihhhhhhhhhhhhhjvghdrtdhkj

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are there any companies, foundations, celebrities providing contribution or funding to businesses seeking to cure, treat, diagnose autism and other spectrum disorders

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember that John Stewart hosts "A Night of Too Many Stars" every year that works towards finding a cure. Also, Tony Braxton does work for Autism Speaks, an organization that does such a thing, as her son is also diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder.

    ReplyDelete