Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Autism Spectrum Disorders And Religious Belief

I've been wondering about the religious demographics of people on the autism spectrum. I would expect that there are a far higher number of Atheists, Deists, Pantheists, Wiccans, Neo-Pagans, and Buddhists, basically belief systems that either reject the notion of a higher power, are apathetic about it, or convince of it in an impersonal force.

I've never been able to believe in a personal god. Even before I became an Atheist I thought of God in essentially Deist terms. I am baffled by the notion of a personal god for the same reason I am baffled by people, say, getting mad and yelling at a device that has quit working, as if it had ill-will towards the angry person, it's as if people are projecting our human folk psychology (something us autistics are notoriously bad at) on the physical world.

No comments:

Post a Comment